Taking Care of Basic Freight Handling Machinery
Unit Standard: SAQA ID 8021
NQF Level: 3
No of Credits: 2
A learner accredited with this standard will be able to utilise the competencies acquired in selecting, utilising and Taking Care of Basic Freight Handling Machinery and equipment, to positively add to operational efficiencies.
By the end of the course, the learners will be to:
• Identify the suitability of handling machinery and equipment
• Implement safe freight handling practices
• Use alternative communication systems
• Conduct of routine maintenance required
• Ensure that the equipment undergoes scheduled and ad-hoc maintenance
Knowledge To Be Gained
Relevant aspects of the following:
1. Knowledge of pre-trip inspection, operating, shut down and parking of equipment.
2. Handling equipment capacity, rating and operation i.e. using the correct equipment for the correct mass, as well as the principles of operation.
3. Suitability of equipment in relation to the environment and prevailing conditions (e.g. preventing contamination through exhaust fumes).
4. Safety precautions in operating the equipment for particular product types.
5. Safety measures, and in the event of incidents and accidents, procedures to be followed.
6. The consequences of failure to comply with maintenance and operational requirements on machinery and equipment.
7. The relevant national and international standards, codes and legislation pertaining to the selected discipline e.g. – Codes: IMDG code.
– OHS Act.
– Environmental control regulations e.g. on lead control, asbestos.
– Air pollution legislation.
– Emergency procedures as reflected in legislation.
8. Knowledge of the various forms of communication available.
Duration Of Programme