Allocating Freight for Packing and Grouping
Unit Standard: SAQA ID 8022
NQF Level: 3
No of Credits: 6
A learner accredited with this standard will be able to demonstrate applied competence in Allocating Freight for Packing and Grouping; breaking bulk and packaging, and packaging and grouping.
By the end of the course, the learners will be to:
• Implement separation and packaging techniques and materials.
• Select a clean, suitable and unrestricted working area
• Ensure the correct identification and placement of freight groupings
• Determine the procedures required for the timeous selection and/or allocating of products.
• Set aside damaged, destroyed or contaminated products and packaging materials
• Assess the picking or loading order, selection and grouping of orders
• Ensure the security and safe working procedures required.
Knowledge To Be Gained
Relevant aspects of the following:
- Documentation procedures pertaining to packaging and grouping required in terms of company policy, and applicable regulations and legislation (e.g. Customs and Excise regulations).
- Legislation, regulations or codes governing the safe and acceptable packaging and grouping of products (e.g. Occupational Health and Safety Act, IMO Codes).
- Product characteristics to prevent contamination and damage to freight and environment.
- National and international packaging/separation/grouping techniques, specifications and standards (e.g. size of pallet vs. freight size and weight).
- Labelling information (e.g. safety data sheets) and the implications thereof handling specific freight (e.g. hazardous/ dangerous chemicals) together with the requirements for and access to labelling of packaged freight (safety signs and handling instructions)(In terms of bulk shipments -IMO certificate).
Duration Of Programme