Operate Truck Mounted Cranes
Unit Standard: SAQA ID 242978
NQF Level: 3
No of Credits: 8
Operate Truck Mounted Cranes; in line with The Driven Machinery Regulations Act and Driven Machinery Regulations Code of Practice.
The person credited with this unit standard will be able to understand the functions of a truck-mounted crane while using the crane in a safe and suitable manner. They will also be able to access support and emergency services in the case of an incident or accident in the workplace.
Renewal training should have a certificate not expired for more than 90 days.
Numeracy and Literacy NQF Level 1.
This programme is aimed at:
• Individuals needing relicensing
• Novice Gantry/overhead crane operators
Range Of Equipment Covered By This Unit Standard
Limited to work carried out on a truck-mounted crane with standardised fittings. The applied competence expressed in this standard covers one specific crane of a range of heavy crane types (capacity and functionality) used in familiar operational functions in any industry context, and in a range of environmental conditions (e.g. poor weather).
Cranes shall include
- C32 truck-mounted crane
Attachments shall include
- Tandem lifts
- T Special categories
- The Codes and Attachments correspond with the National Code of Practice
By the end of the course, the learners will understand:
• Demonstrating knowledge of the functions of a truck-mounted crane.
• Identifying the safety and suitability of the crane.
• Inspecting and recording the operational fitness of the components of the truck and crane.
• Operating a truck-mounted crane.
• Accessing available support systems and emergency services in case of incidents and accidents
Refresher Training: 4 hours classroom training and 1 hour practical per operator.
Novice Training: 5 days – maximum 4 operators per session as per driven machinery regulation requirements.