Operate Overhead Gantry Cranes
Unit Standard: SAQA ID 242976
NQF Level: 2
No of Credits: 5
Operate Overhead Gantry Cranes; in line with The Driven Machinery Regulations Act and Driven Machinery Regulations Code of Practice.
The person credited with this unit standard is able to understand the functions, safety and suitability of the crane prior to utilisation in the freight handling industry. Learners are also able to inspect and record the operational fitness of the components of a crane and be able to access available support systems and emergency services in case of incidents and accidents while operating a overhead/ gantry crane.
Renewal training should have a certificate not expired for more than 90 days.
Numeracy and Literacy NQF Level 1.
This programme is aimed at:
• Individuals needing relicensing
• Novice gantry/ overhead crane operators
Range Of Equipment Covered By This Unit Standard
Limited to work carried out on a standard crane, with standardised fittings. The applied competence expressed in this standard covers one specific crane of a range of heavy crane types (capacity and functionality) used in familiar operational functions in any industry context, and in a range of environmental conditions (eg poor weather).
Cranes shall include
C30: Overhead pendant controlled
C31: Overhead cab controlled
Attachments shall include
Code S tandem lifts
Code T Special categories
The Codes and Attachments correspond with the National Code of Practice
By the end of the course, the learners will understand:
• Demonstrating knowledge of the functions of a crane.
• Identifying the safety and suitability of the crane type prior to utilization.
• Inspecting and recording the operational fitness of the components of a crane.
• Operating an overhead crane in a safe and competent manner.
• Accessing available support systems and emergency services in case of incidents and accidents
Refresher Training: 4 hours classroom training and 1 hour practical per operator.
Novice Training: 5 days – maximum 4 operators per session as per driven machinery regulation requirements.