National Certificate in Road Transport
Qualification: SAQA ID 48437
NQF Level: 3
No of Credits: 133
The National Certificate in Road Transport qualification facilitates training and educational opportunities for employees in the South African Road Transport industry or those wishing to pursue a career in this industry. Individuals will have the opportunity to specialise in either freight or passenger related fields. The training will be applicable and appropriate to companies where transport is a primary or secondary function.
The qualifying learner will obtain the relevant underpinning knowledge of road transport operations in order to apply this to all assigned functions. These core components of learning include knowledge of transport logistics, routeing and scheduling, basic principles of road transport management and occupational health, safety and environmental protection that is applied in operating successfully in a road transport logistics environment.
This Qualification has been designed as the first of three levels in road transport; to address the specific need as expressed by the road transport industry of South Africa. This Qualification serves as an entry level Qualification into the specialised area of road transport against the backdrop of the transport industry as a whole. It would serve to foster professionalism in the Southern African Road Transport industry and form the basis for further learning towards the Further Education and Training Certificate: Road Transport Supervision at NQF level 4.
This Qualification provides the bridging opportunity for individuals wishing to pursue a career in road transport operations and management. It would also serve to formally recognise the experience gained by learners employed in the sector. This Qualification equips a learner for employment and/or career advancement opportunities within the Transport Industry of Southern Africa, as well as enables him/her to pursue more advanced levels of study in this specific field.
By the end of this programme, the learners will be able to:Understand the South African Road Transport industry and apply basic road transport managerial principles.
- Understand the typical customer by learning how to communicate and conduct business in a professional manner, within the parameters of the legal and institutional boundaries of South African Road Transport Legislation.
- Understand occupational health, safety and environmental issues in the South African road transport industry as well as the approach to everyday road transport operational activities is demonstrated.
- Be skilled in the sourcing and deliberation of road transport operational information as well as with the ability to process this information in such a way that it benefits the company. This information will be implemented in the organisation`s routeing and scheduling activities where the learners will be able to process the information.
- Ensure that subordinates are supervised in a manner that will lead to harmonious interpersonal relations at the workplace.
- Analyse, understand and prepare a road transport budget to ensure the effective creation and implementation of costing and budgets.
Duration Of Programme
UNIT STANDARD TITLE NQF LEVEL CREDITS
Core 113840 Apply basic road transport managerial principles 03 Core 13223 Apply safety, health and environmental protection procedures 03 Core 7995 Communicating and conducting interpersonal relations in industry 03 Core 113844 Ensure compliance with routing and scheduling 03 Core 113847 Foster and maintain customer relations 03 Core 113843 Obtain and communicate road transport operational information 03 Core 113845 Supervise employees 03 Fundamental 8968 Accommodate audience and context needs in oral communication 03 Fundamental 9010 Demonstrate an understanding of the use of different number bases and measurement units and an awareness of error in the context of relevant calculations 03 Fundamental 13915 Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of HIV/AIDS in a workplace, and its effects on a business sub-sector, own organisation and a specific workplace 03 Fundamental 9013 Describe, apply, analyse and calculate shape and motion in 2-and 3-dimensional space in different contexts 03 Fundamental 8969 Interpret and use information from texts 03 Fundamental 9012 Investigate life and work related problems using data and probabilities 03 Fundamental 8973 Use language and communication in occupational learning programmes 03 Fundamental 7456 Use mathematics to investigate and monitor the financial aspects of personal, business and national issues 03 Fundamental 8970 Write texts for a range of communicative contexts 03 Elective 113836 Apply basic computer technology 03 Elective 113848 Conduct fault finding and organise maintenance repairs 03 Elective 113829 Operate within a logistics environment 03 Elective 113825 Secure the vehicle load 03 Elective 113838 Apply general management principles 04 Elective 113830 Conduct costing and budgeting 04 Elective 113837 Oversee the routing and scheduling function 04