Loading General Freight
Unit Standard: SAQA ID 123262
NQF Level: 2
No of Credits: 6
The purpose of the learning credited in this unit standard, Loading General Freight, is to ensure that learners are able to safely load, secure and off-load freight carried on vehicles. Credited learners can adhere to given time frames and specified requirements for specific types of freight. Improved general freight loading prevents accidents where vehicles lose loads and ensures that loads and persons are not damaged or injured. If the condition of loads is preserved, customer service and profitability are improved, and the professional image of the transport sector will be maintained. This set of competence is transferable to all other fields where loading of general freight is required, and thus improves the employability of credited learners.
By the end of the course, the learners will be to:
• Preparing for loading/off-loading processes according to specified procedures.
• Loading general freight according to context requirements.
• Securing general freight according to product requirements.
• Off-loading general freight according to specified procedures
Knowledge To Be Gained
Relevant aspects of the following:
• SABS Codes of Practice for freight securing on vehicles, specifically with regard to:
• Safety problems associated with the transportation of freight.
• Basic precautions including basic criteria for freight securing and cargo distribution and arrangements on vehicles.
• Freight securing equipment – different types and the selection thereof.
• Permissible gross vehicle mass and axle loadings, and tyre specifications.
• The impact of overloading on vehicle performance and safety.
• Weighbridge procedures.
• Procedures for dealing with on-the-road problems.
Duration Of Programme
2 Days – Including practical