Defensive Driving for Light Motor Vehicles
Unit Standard: Based on SAQA ID 123257
A comprehensive theoretical programme on Defensive Driving for Light Motor Vehicles and driver behavioral change.
NOSA Logistics offer a comprehensive theoretical and practical programme that aims to improve driving skills and driver attitudes. The aim is to increase their knowledge and understanding of road safety, in order to prepare them to react in the best possible way when faced with unexpected situations, and to become more aware of other road users.
Code 8 Drivers.
Objectives of the Programme
- Driving to save lives, time, and money.
- Driving to reduce the risk of collision by anticipating dangerous situations.
- Driving to improve the safety of other road users.
- Driving to minimise organisational risk.
Rationale Behind E-Learning
The strategic intent for this programme is to offer a practical training solution, in which learners can complete the training:
- On their own time and pace
- From multiple locations
- With minimal time spent off the road
Benefits of Defensive Driver Training
- Improves driver ability on hazard recognition
- Keeps driver updated on relevant legislation
- Increases driver knowledge of vehicle specifications
- Improves driver knowledge of his/ her load
- Prepares drivers on how to manage the vehicle in changing driving conditions e.g. weather, road, traffic, visibility
- Improves driving techniques
Benefits of Defensive Driver Training For Drivers
- Makes driver aware of different driving distractions
- Improves driver safety awareness e.g. seat belts, cellphone usage, hijacking awareness
- Increases driver awareness of his surroundings (SIPDE – ABC)
- Improves awareness of driver fatigue
- Improves green band driving
Benefits of Defensive Driver Training For Employees
- Improves fuel consumption
- Reduces vehicle maintenance costs
- Reduces organisational risk
- Reduces individual risk
- Maximises safety of the vehicle, load and driver
- Improves safety of other road users
- Decreases risk of bad publicity
- Preparing a vehicle for the road
- Defensive driving
- Vehicle rollover prevention
- Adapting to different driving conditions
- Handling unexpected situations
- Fatigue management
5 hour programme to be completed at learners own pace.